- 2 whole trout, gutted and gilled (approx. ¾ # each)
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- Fresh watercress - garnish
For chive butter
- 4 TBS room temp butter
- 1 TBS minced chive
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp paprika
- Soak mesquite chips in water overnight.
- Make butter ahead of time. Combine butter, chive, lemon zest and paprika in mixing bowl and stir. Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a cylinder. Tie at both ends and refrigerate.
Prepare charcoal and add soaked mesquite chips
- Rub trout with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. On clean grill surface place fish flesh side down and cook for five minutes or until fish releases from grill.
- Using a fish spatula carefully flip fish over onto skin side and cook for additional 2-3 minutes or until skin is crisp and fish is cooked through.
- Remove from grill using fish spatula and place on serving platter. Cut a couple of thin disks of chive butter and place on trout while still warm. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over fish and garnish with fresh sprigs of watercress.