- 1 each duckling
- Game Bird Brine -- overnight
- 1 tablespoon north woods spice
- 6 ounces onion -- large dice
- 1 each apple ( tart cooking) -- large dice
- 3 ounces celery -- large dice
- 1 quart apple cider
1. Remove the giblets from the duck; remove the fat from its cavity. Place duck in Game bird brime, keep submerged. Brine over night. Rinse the goose and pat dry. Sprinkle its interior and exterior with salt, pepper. Stuff with celery, onion and apples. Truss the duck and place breast side down on a rack in a roasting pan.
2. Roast in a 325ºF oven for 30 minutes. Prick the skin all over with a fork to release fat.
3. Raise the oven temperature to 350ºF turn onto one side and continue roasting for another 25 minutes. Baste the bird occasionally with the fat accumulating in the pan.
4. Raise the oven temperature to 375ºF turn onto the other side side and continue roasting for another 25 minutes. Baste the bird occasionally with the fat accumulating in the pan.
5. After roasting for a total of 1 1/4 hours, remove the duck from the pan and drain off all but 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) of fat.
6. Pour the apple cider into the pan. Return to the oven and continue roasting breast up until done, approximately 20 more minutes.
7. Remove the bird from the roasting pan and allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes before carving. Serve with maple galzed yam and apples.