- 2 lb. ground elk
- 4 strips Applewood smoked bacon – small dice
- ½ Cup Onion – fine diced
- ½ Cup Celery – fine diced
- ½ Cup Carrot – fine diced
- 1 Cup Beef Stock
- 1/2 Cup Ketchup
- 1 T. Tomato paste
- ¼ cup Dijon. Mustard
- 3 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 T. Cider Vinegar
- 2 T. Honey
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Pre-heat large skillet or sauté pan to medium high heat. Add diced bacon and stir to prevent burning. As soon as bacon begins to brown and fat has been rendered add ground elk. Continue to stir and break meat into small pieces.
- Add diced vegetables and reduce heat to medium, stir occasionally.
- Once meat has browned and vegetables are soft, add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer until liquid is reduced enough to just coat meat.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Keep warm until serving.
- To serve place a generous amount of meat on sliced hamburger bun. Serve them as is or top with your choice of ingredients such as onions, pickles, cheddar cheese, etc...
Recipe yields approx. 10 sandwiches